A first date can give you something a lot like stage fright. You feel jittery, your heart rate is up, you’re anxious and you check yourself in the mirror over and over again. Calm down, take a deep breath and try to think positive thoughts. Everything is going to be fine, just follow these 5 tips:
1. Do a little reconnaissance: Being in an unfamiliar place can compound any nervousness or anxiety you might be feeling. Visit the site of your upcoming date ahead of time and get a sense of the place and its clientele. You may also want to observe what people are wearing, so you’re prepared for your date when it happens.
2. Give yourself extra time to get ready: It can take time to pick out the right outfit, especially when you’re trying to make a good first impression. You want to look great and feel confident, but you should also be comfortable in what you’re wearing so that you’re not distracted while trying to make conversation. Try different hairstyles and accessories too, so that your look will be one thing you don’t have to worry about.
3. You’re probably thinking of some questions you’d like to ask your date or topics you’d like to bring up. Write these down, it will help you remember them (and you can refer to it on the sly if you need to). It’s all too easy to get caught up in your own anxiety and forget the things that you wanted to talk about. You might want to practice these questions and conversational segues so that they sound natural on your date.
4. Ask your friends for help. Ask some close friends who you trust to be honest with you what they think about your outfit or anything else you’re feeling nervous about. Their input can help you decide if you need to change something or if your pre-date jitters are getting to you.
5. Have realistic expectations. This is a first date, so don’t expect that they’re going to propose. Your date may end up not being a good match and you shouldn’t take this personally. Just have fun, enjoy spending time with (hopefully) good company and have a good night out, even if this date probably won’t lead to anything else.