1. When in doubt, ask a friend for their opinion.
2. Just because it’s your size doesn’t mean that you should wear it in public. For instance, spandex is for the gym, not for running errands or taking a stroll around the neighborhood. However, if you must, remember that a long tailed shirt can do a great job at concealing certain areas.
3.Full length mirrors are a great thing, as long as you remember to use them.
4. Unless you actually wear a uniform to work (and you’re at work at the time), you shouldn’t be wearing one in your free time. You don’t want someone to think you’re one of the Village People.
5. Leave a little something to the imagination, ladies. Sexy and sleazy aren’t the same thing.
6. Guys, no one likes dirty collars or dirty nails.
7. If you must wear fake nails or fake hair, it shouldn’t look fake. You get what you pay for.
8. Cleanliness goes a very long way.
9. If you’re trying to impress people, your outfit should play up your positives and detract attention from your negatives – and yes, we all have positives.
10. Work with a consultant about your colors or your “season.”
11. One or two rings per hand is plenty. Jewelry is a great way to accessorize, but don’t go overboard.
12. When you get compliments on your look, remember it. Try to repeat these kinds of outfits, since they’re obviously working for you.
13. Notwithstanding tip number 12, change things up occasionally.
14. Don’t try to look like everyone else, do you!
15. Guys, it’s OK if you wear earrings, but keep them small and tasteful (ie – definitely smaller than your girlfriend’s).
Right or wrong, the way we dress has a huge influence on how others perceive us. Many studies have shown that people make assumptions about other people’s income, occupation, educational level, cultural background and other factors based on the way that they’re dressed.