One of the best things about writing on the topic of relationships is that it gives me a chance to speak up and say some things which aren’t said often enough. I get to spread knowledge, expose stereotypes and generally tell men and women alike how it really is. There are a lot of women out there who are dealing with relationship issues, but don’t have the soapbox that yours truly does – and I’m glad to be able to correct some common misinformation that I hear far too much of.
I’m here to help you reset your thinking on relationships with some basic facts that every modern man should know about women and what we really want.
1. We aren’t all the same: Just like men, women come in every size, shape, color and personality type you can imagine. We’re individuals, just like you and you should approach every woman as such, just as you’d like to be treated yourself.
2. Size does matter: And by size, I’m talking about the size of your heart. If you have a big heart, show it – it’s something women love.
3. Karma will come back to you sooner or later: If you’ve been a liar, a cheater or just a jerk all around, it’ll come back to haunt you later. If you treat the women you date well though, you’ll get the same in return.
4. New doesn’t always mean better: A lot of guys leave perfectly good relationships in search of novelty, thinking that the thrill of their new crush will mean something better; of course, it doesn’t always work out that way. Even if the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, remember that you’ll still need to do the yardwork.
5. Think before you speak: It doesn’t matter where you live, it’s a smaller town than you think. Anything you say, especially if it’s bragging about your romantic conquests, can get back to people you don’t want hearing about it. Be the bigger man and don’t kiss and tell.
6. Be nice: Whoever said that nice guys finish last wasn’t watching the same race that I (and lots of other women) am. I’m attracted to considerate, sensitive and yes, nice, guys and so are other women who you might want to be with.
7. Marriage is not a punishment: Getting married should be something you look forward to, not something you dread. If you do, then it could be a sign that you’re not with the right person.
8. Don’t lie: We can tell when you’re lying more often than you think – and it makes us distrust you and feel like you’re disrespecting us.
9. You can’t have it all: You have to decide which things are the most important to you. If you demand the total package, then maybe you should ask whether you’re the total package yourself – chances are that you’re not perfect either. Don’t expect to get more than you’re offering someone else and you won’t be disappointed. Instead, focus on the things that really matter to you in a romantic partner.
10. You think women are “crazy?”: If some of us are, it’s something that we caught from dealing with immature, dysfunctional men and the drama they’ve brought into our lives in the past.
If you can follow these ten tips, you’ll be able to get a clearer idea of what women are thinking and be in a much better position to win our affection and get us to stick around for the long term, which is what everyone wants. Good luck out there!